Risotto is such a comfort food for me, I definitely favour eating it in the autumn and winter months (although I do a great spring vegetable risotto too!) The thick, gloopy rice, the gooey cheese, the deep but not too fussy flavours. Yep, risotto is one of the best Italian classics in my opinion.
Here, I give you my twist on this classic, instead of reaching for the Arborio rice why not try Minvita Organic Sprouted GABA Rice. You can read all about the health benefits of GABA Rice here, all the more reason to give it a go!
Ingredients (serves 4)
1 clove garlic, pressed
1 litre hot chicken stock (either fresh or from an organic brand such as Kallo)
1 onion, finely chopped
chilli flakes, to taste
1 celery stick, finely sliced
500g Minvita Organic Sprouted Black GABA Rice
2 tbs of white wine vinegar or 1 glass or dry white wine
1 butternut squash, or squash of your choice. Parboiled, seeded and cubed.
200g taleggio cheese, cubed
100g parmesan cheese, grated
6 sprigs thyme
Handful of Spinach
salt and black pepper to taste
salt, black pepper and parmesan to serve
- In a heavy bottomed base pan, melt the butter over a medium heat.
- Add the garlic and stir well, taking care not to burn the garlic.
- Once the garlic is starting to turn translucent, add the onion. Cook for a couple of minutes before adding a ladle-full of the stock. This is to help soften the onion without burning it. Cook for several minutes.
- Once the stock has reduced, add the celery and repeat.
- Add the Minvita Organic Sprouted GABA Rice, chilli flakes and white wine vinegar or wine. Stir well before adding two ladles of stock.
- Add the butternut squash.
- Continue to add stock and stir regularly for 40 minutes.
- Check the rice is softened and ready to eat then turn off the heat.
- Add taleggio and parmesan over the top of the risotto, don’t stir but cover and leave to sit for 5 minutes.
- Add thyme, salt and pepper and stir to spread the melted cheese through the mix before serving.
- Lastly, garnish with Spinach.