Make at Home Beauty: Moisturiser
Regular readers may have seen my Make at Home Beauty recipe for a Cleanse & Polish product to rival Liz Earle’s! If you’ve tried the recipe, I’d love to know what you think 🙂 Well, today dear readers I am going to give you the recipe for the moisturiser I designed for the same journalist. As a reminder, her skin was sensitive, prone to dryness, eczema and breakouts.
At the time, she was using Avene moisturiser, so I took a look at the products to draw inspiration. Some typical natural ingredients in Avene moisturisers include Shea Butter, Safflower Seed Oil, Coconut Oil, Evening Primrose Oil and Soybean extract. There are also a whole host of undesiribles in there too; paraffin, parabens, and the like.
To help with eczema I used a base of Calendula Oil and Shea Butter and to help with breakouts I am included beeswax – it’s highly antibacterial and when used I proper concentrations it is non-comedogenic (i.e. it does not cause spots!). A natural emulsifying wax is also required to give the product its creamy consistency. You can buy a great one from Aromantic.
I also included pure vitamin E oil to help anti-age the skin and to act as a natural preservative. Finally, the essential oils I used were Geranium and Lavender – both of which can be great for eczema, and Geranium also helps balance sebum production in the skin.
- 15ml Calendula Oil
- 15g Shea Butter
- 5g Beeswax
- 8g Emulsifying Wax
- 50ml Rose Geranium Water
- 5ml Vitamin E Oil
- 6 drops Lavender Oil
- 3 drops Geranium Oil
1) Place a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water and add the Calendula Oil, Shea Butter, Beeswax and Emulsifying Wax.
2) Stir to encourage the wax to melt into the oils.
3) Meanwhile, place the Rose Geranium Water in a heatproof jug and place in a pan of simmering water to gently warm through.
4) Once the wax and oil mixture is the same consistency throughout and the Rose Geranium Water is warmed through, combine the two and stir really well.
5) Add the Vitamin E Oil and stir through again. The mixture will start to thicken.
6) Add the Lavender and Geranium Oils and stir again.
7) Leave to cool before transferring into a sterilised container.
8) Label the container with the product you have made and the date. This formula will last up to four weeks, possibly longer if stored in the fridge!
Use morning and night after cleansing.
I actually gave this product to my friend who suffers from acne, and she said that it was one of the best creams she has used on her skin!